F. A. Nettelbeck: unloved and unphased (1 Viewer)

I am also surprised to hear that there are three Mexicans in Michigan to hoist said burrito

Its the farms and crops. the lazy white americans won't bend or bow to pick them. Won't get thier lily white hands dirty. It's below them ya know. The sad truth.

Looks like lemon slices, a dollop of good black sturgeon caviar, a slice of cucumber (diagonal) and some Boston lettuce. But I have to wrong on at least some of that.

mjp may be right about the chard, but fish ain't got no nuts.

Anyone else here eat Sushi? I first ate it about 15 years ago and now REALLY crave it. I can't go more than a month without eating it. I really spoiled myself when I lived outside of D.C. There were SOOOO many yuppies that you could find a decent all-you-can-eat sushi lunch buffet for under $10. I would eat 40 pieces for lunch, making sure that no one ever made a dime off of me. I would do that once a week. Now, in Dover, there is only one and that is a HIBACHI.

The NASCAR races are this weekend, so I cannot leave my house as 400,000 rednecks are piling into my little town of 40,000.

Wish me luck....

Bill

shrimp, hard boiled egg, and what else? what is that?

Looks like lemon slices, a dollop of good black sturgeon caviar, a slice of cucumber (diagonal) and some Boston lettuce. But I have to wrong on at least some of that.

mjp may be right about the chard, but fish ain't got no nuts.

That's exactly right, PS. The lettuce is probably Iceberg salad. It's on rye bread but white bread would do nicely too. It's of course just one example of smoerrebroed. There's so many varieties.
What's chards? Some kinda lettuce?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chipotle uses happy ingredients. Very environmentally conscience.
HERE
Click on the Flying Burrito...

I have seen the back of a Taco Bell/Kentucky Fried and I will say it was enough to make me never want to eat again.

Oh and back on Topic Fuckin A Nickledick has definitely added some spice to this thread.
Fuck Yeah!!!!!

Oh wait ... is this the food thread??

...fish ain't got no nuts.
Well, we haven't seen every fish. There might be a species swimming out there trailing a little sack behind them. An evolutionary anomaly, as the kids say. I hold out hope.

I have seen the back of a Taco Bell/Kentucky Fried and I will say it was enough to make me never want to eat again.
I think seeing the back of most restaurants in the world would inspire one to eat at home. I wouldn't be surprised if the McDonalds on Sunset strip was cleaner than Spago.

The NASCAR races are this weekend, so I cannot leave my house as 400,000 rednecks are piling into my little town of 40,000.

Wish me luck....
Luck with the corporate version of the "good ole boys". Of course they've been corporate for decades, that was the whole dream even way back when Junior Johnson was Tom Wolfe's vision of the last American hero.

Funny, just a couple days ago I got told by an old geezer who was my hero 40 years ago that he'd fire me because my hair is too long. I just laughed because it's been 40 years and too many things, like heroes, have gone on their lid in the passing of laps and time.

bennett coll 1 1 8.JPG

Sometimes I wonder if there's a difference between the average fast-food dumpster and my own colon. For all the exercise I try to get, I still have a weakness for crap food.

That being said, have you tried any of the new Angus burgers at McDonalds ? I had The Angus Deluxe the other day - 1/3 lb. Angus beef patty, 2 slices of American cheese, sliced tomato, red onion, pickle slices, (crinkle-cut like Burger King does!), green-leaf lettuce, and mustard on a sesame-seed bun. Meh - not bad compared to their other burgers. Less salty anyway.

Next up: FAST FOOD BREAKFAST

I say that Burger King's Croissan'Wich is the best way to poison your arteries and grease down your gut. They get style points too for that terrific mash-up of French and English spelling.

Digney your picture reminds me of watching the midget cars race on a dirt track at the state fair back in the late 60's. Those fuckers were crazy.

Of course back in those days you could go to the midway and see monkeys race in little gas powered cars, and a real freak show (not some dude with a lot of tattoos who hangs an ironing board from the piercing in his nut sack, which they try to pass off as a freak show today). When one of the monkeys balked and jumped out of its car or didn't otherwise race properly, the carnie/monkey handler would beat them with a stick and force them back into the car.

Entertainment has changed.

I'll bet McDonald's and Burger King wishes they had set up at the state fair in the 60's. Mini drive-up windows for the hungry and hard-working monkeys in their little race-cars. And when the cashier tried to collect the money, the monkeys would throw their own feces at them. Can't beat that with a stick.

Digney your picture reminds me of watching the midget cars race on a dirt track at the state fair back in the late 60's. Those fuckers were crazy.

Of course back in those days you could go to the midway and see monkeys race in little gas powered cars, and a real freak show (not some dude with a lot of tattoos who hangs an ironing board from the piercing in his nut sack, which they try to pass off as a freak show today). When one of the monkeys balked and jumped out of its car or didn't otherwise race properly, the carnie/monkey handler would beat them with a stick and force them back into the car.

The only difference between the monkeys and the race car (midget, big car, jalopy or otherwise) drivers is that the monkeys are smart.

Back in Kerouac's Road trip book it's noted a couple times that midget race car drivers aren't much, or at least examples of someone that isn't much. Of course Neal liked the midget races in Denver. And his son has memories of being taken to the races by his father in the SF Bay area.

Even Dylan had something to say about racing, stock cars, etc.

Minnesota State Fair?

12b7.jpg

Yes, Minnesota state fair. You can see we didn't skimp on the entertainment; The Smothers Brothers, The Supremes -- George Kirby?

I love sushi. It is as if you want to pack more than one at a time in your mouth and you can't help it.
It feels as you are eating to survive, like a predator killing out of pure hunger.

Seriously :D
But...Black Swan... didn't you tell me you ate neither meat nor fish ?

You can still attend entertainments implying monkeys and many other animals in those places you're so afraid of, where "they make a kkkkhhhh sound when they talk".

Mr. Nettelbeck, what about organizing a monkeys race within your flea market and including Mr. Phillips in this promising project ? You would provide the ground, the cars and the stick while this latter would recruit the monkeys and handle them. This would be a nice way of making peace. :)

Once the project come true, don't forget to up this thread by posting a photo portraying both of you smiling arm in arm, a bottle in the free hand and surrounded by your monkeys superstars so that we can all congratulate you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh the Chipotle talk has my mouth watering, I think I'll head over there for lunch today and have one of them big ole flavorful burritos.

Subway will still make you a pizza sub, but you have to ask for it. It doesn't fit with their new 'eat healthy' ethos, but it is a part of their dirty and delicious history, so they can't deny it.

And yes, Chipotle today, sounds like a good idea.

If only they would open a few White Castles in Los Angeles...

I saw Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle the other day. Pretty funny for a dumb movie. Living where I do, I have never eaten at WC. Is it any good?

Bill

p.s. I know that to the British on the list, WC means the toilet, which is pretty funny....

...I have never eaten at WC. Is it any good?
Well...I don't know. Probably not. But I grew up eating them, so they are ingrained on my sophisticated palette.

Incidentally, we never called them - nor did I ever hear anyone else ever call them - sliders. That's some pomo 90's bullshit there, and I reject it.

But...

We got determination - bass and highs
White Castle fries only come in one size
- Beastie Boys -

I've had White Castle, but still prefer In N' Out. I don't know, my uncle lives in New York and still says Jack In The Box tacos are what keep him visiting California every other month! So there's that.

Well...I don't know. Probably not. But I grew up eating them, so they are ingrained on my sophisticated palette.

Incidentally, we never called them - nor did I ever hear anyone else ever call them - sliders. That's some pomo 90's bullshit there, and I reject it.

I've read sliders somewhere. Either back in the 70s with Creem (the one with Leslie West on the cover) or Duluth's Patrick McKinnon in a 1980's poem of his.

The differences between Duluth and the twin cities are pretty profound. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they called White Castle hamburgers Birch Benders, Creek Knobblers or Thunder Bay Stromclouds up there. Seriously, those are some country motherfuckers in Duluth. Not jaded sophisticates like St. Paulites...

It's amazing how my memory works: kind of like not working at all.

Couldn't find Leslie West on the cover of Creem. He's in at least two separate issues, though, the second of which has a photo spread of him rolling in burgers. And Lester Bangs has a look at various burger joints, White Castle included. No "sliders" there.

As far as Patrick McKinnon goes I can hear his voice saying "sliders". And I do have a cassette of his book, Cherry Ferris Wheels (1990), but nothing to play it on. A quick glance through the book again and I can't find no fuckin' "sliders". Jesus, my memory....

Anyway, Patrick originally came from the SF Bay area, moved to Duluth because no one was moving there (or some such reason), and got Poetry Motel, Suburban Wilderness Press, Zoo Babies and other things going. That was where I first read Todd Moore, Albert Huffstickler and others from what Pat called, in a live performance saved on cassette, "the micro-press".

One of the last times I googled Pat's name I came across this. Glad to know he came through the accident and the tumour operation okay, so far.

"Sliders" goddammit. Where, and when, did I get "sliders" in my brain? They've been there a long, long time. And I'm so fucking tired of them being there.

that's really funny cause i wasn't even thinking that far ahead. i just picture a greasy burger covered with grease on a greasy bun that's so greasy it just slides down your throat without needing to chew...

but i love that when it's called a hamburger.

speaking of not needing to chew, i forgot about oysters as a repulsive "food" item.

had this recently and almost couldn't keep it down:

20090320_bone_560x375.jpg

I've had White Castle, but still prefer In N' Out. I don't know, my uncle lives in New York and still says Jack In The Box tacos are what keep him visiting California every other month! So there's that.
Coincidentally I watched 'American Splendour' last night and White Castle features in it briefly. I'd never heard of the place before reading this thread the other day. 'Sliders' though? Wtf?

Only knew about White Castle from the 1974 Creem overview of burger joints. Going to their website I see "slyder" was trademarked as of 1994.

Local toon network replayed the Futurama movie, Bender's Game. Near the end the group goes to "Wipe Castle" for food and, uh,....

"A sack of six with both" sounds excessive. Lester Bangs suggested having milk with the burgers. With my lactose intolerance that could be bad, very bad.

(Oh yeah, I was looking at a coupon from a Vancouver, BC, restaurant chain: White Spot. They advertise "sliders" as well. Me, I just go for the Triple O sauce. Sort of.)

"A sack of six with both" sounds excessive.
No, no, they are very small. You have to eat them by the dozen. Preferably when quite drunk. And young enough to deal with the consequences of 18 White Castles swimming around inside of you.

It wasn't uncommon for a few of my friends and I to order 50 or 60 of them at two or three AM on certain wobbly nights (25 years ago). You may not eat all of them, but they have to be there, just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back